[Simbiosnews] Simbios RNA Ancillary Meeting @ Biophys. Soc. Mtg in SF on 2/22 6-8 PM

Joy P. Ku joyku at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 28 09:47:09 PST 2010

Dear RNA Colleagues who may be at the Biophysical Society Meeting in
February in San Francisco,

This is a call for participation in a workshop on RNA computational tools
at the Biophysical Meeting next month.  Please forward this to anyone you
might think would be interested.

I am pleased to let you know that the Biophysical Society has granted us a
two hour window from 6PM - 8 PM on Monday, February 22 to have an
ancillary meeting focusing on modeling and simulation of RNA.   This
meeting is sponsored by the Simbios National Center for Physics-Based
Simulation (http://simbios.stanford.edu/) and has a couple of goals:

1.  We would like to have a summit meeting for those with an interest in
computational modeling of 3D RNA structure, function and dynamics, to
exchange ideas and scientific challenges.

2.  We would like to perhaps demonstrate useful RNA-oriented tools.
Simbios has created three, and there are other good ones around.  The
Simbios tools include:

*   a code for coarse-grain modeling of large RNA molecules (NAST/C2A,
https://simtk.org/home/nast)
*   a code for multibody mechanical simulation of large RNA molecules
(RNABuilder, https://simtk.org/home/rnatoolbox)
*   a code for ultra-fast molecular dynamics accelerated on graphics cards
(OpenMM Zephyr, https://simtk.org/home/zephyr)

I think this would be best organized as an informal session.   I would
like to have ~6 10 minute presentations (similar to how the RNA Society
does it), followed by a 1 hour informal discussion on the technical
challenges to the field of RNA structural computation.

Simbios will provide some refreshments, with the idea that many of us will
then self-organize into dinner groups for a late dinner when the meeting
breaks up at 8 PM.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PRESENT A 10 MINUTE TALK ABOUT A COMPUTATIONAL TOOL
RELATED TO RNA 3D STRUCTURE AND/OR DYNAMICS, PLEASE SEND ME A BRIEF
PARAGRAPH ON WHAT YOU WOULD PROPOSE TO PRESENT.  I WILL TRY TO PUT
TOGETHER A PROGRAM OF DIVERSE AND INTERESTING TALKS.

PLEASE SEND ME YOUR PROPOSAL BY FEBRUARY 7, SO WE CAN NOTIFY THOSE WHO
WILL PRESENT.

You do NOT need to be registered for the meeting to attend or present.

I welcome your suggestions and comments.  I look forward to an interesting
and useful meeting in San Francisco.  The location of the meeting is Room
124, Moscone Center, 747 Howard Street, San Francisco.

Thanks,
Russ Altman
Stanford University
http://www-helix.stanford.edu/people/altman/