[Simbiosnews] FW: CPMS webinar: In silico design of novel surgical methods for children with single ventricle hearts: from computation to clinic

Joy P. Ku joyku at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 13 15:57:54 PST 2015

The Committee for Credible Practice of Modeling
<https://simtk.org/home/cpms> & Simulation in Healthcare (CPMS) invites
you to join us for an informative discussion featuring Alison Marsden from
UC San Diego
on translating simulation-based surgical procedures into the clinic.

DETAILS
Title: In silico Design of Novel Surgical Methods for Children with Single
Ventricle Hearts: From Computation to Clinic
Speaker: Dr. Alison Marsden, UC San Diego
Time: Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time
Register: https://simtk.webex.com/simtk/onstage/g.php?d=660228845
<https://simtk.webex.com/simtk/onstage/g.php?d=660228845&t=a> &t=a

DESCRIPTION
Single ventricle heart patients are among the most challenging patients
for pediatric cardiologists to treat. These conditions, which are
uniformly fatal without surgical intervention, result in a host of
morbidities including cyanosis, exercise intolerance, arrhythmias, and
heart failure. Patients typically undergo three-staged surgical repair
starting in the neonatal period to route the venous return directly to the
pulmonary arteries, separating the systemic and pulmonary circulations.
Our recent work has combined shape optimization and multiscale modeling to
design novel surgical procedures for the first and third stages of single
ventricle repair.

In this talk, we will discuss our approach for promoting clinical adoption
of these simulation-based surgical procedures through two case studies.
First, we will discuss our Y-graft design for the Fontan surgery (the
stage three surgery). Simulations show that our optimized Y-graft design
has led to improvements in hepatic flow distribution, an important
clinical parameter related to lung development. We will discuss our
experiences and challenges with clinical translation, including follow up
data from a clinical pilot study of 6 patients at Lucile Packard
Children's Hospital. Second, we will describe a newly proposed procedure
called the Assisted Bidirectional Glenn (ABG), which has the potential to
combine the first and second stage surgeries into one, reducing the number
of required surgeries from three to two. Preliminary results from
simulations demonstrate reduced cardiac workload and increased oxygen
delivery, suggesting that the ABG holds promise for further investigation.
Building on our experiences with the Y-graft, we will discuss lessons
learned and plans for clinical translation of the ABG concept. We will
outline plans for testing in an animal model and in vitro experimental
models, steps that will enable future clinical translation. We will
conclude by discussing some barriers specific to clinical translation in
pediatrics, including ethical issues and small patient cohorts, and offer
potential solutions.

Participation is free, but you must register
<https://simtk.webex.com/simtk/onstage/g.php?d=660228845&t=a>  in advance.
We also ask that you join the webinar 5 minutes early to orient yourself
to the webinar interface.

Visit our website for more information and registration:
http://wiki.simtk.org/cpms/Events/20150122InSilicoDesignOfNovelSurgicalMet
hods.

Learn more about CPMS by visiting our website,
https://simtk.org/home/cpms.