[Kneeloads-news] Third Grand Challenge Competition Data Released

B.J. Fregly fregly at ufl.edu
Thu Sep 8 17:31:24 PDT 2011

Dear Musculoskeletal Modeling Research Community,

We are glad to inform you that the data for the Third Grand Challenge
Competition to Predict In Vivo Knee Loads has now been posted on the
Simtk.org website (https://simtk.org/home/kneeloads). We apologize that we
were unable to post the competition data sooner, but two bugs in the Vicon
Nexus software prevented us from completing the data processing as quickly
as we had anticipated. The competition will again be held at the ASME Summer
Bioengineering Conference
(http://www.asmeconferences.org/SBC2012/index.cfm), which will take place
this year at the beautiful El Conquistador Resort in Puerto Rico.

An overview of the competition data, including the two gait trials to be
used for the third competition, is contained in the file "Competition Data
Description.pdf." The data this year include pre-surgery MR data of the knee
region, which may facilitate the determination of subject-specific muscle
lines of action and muscle cross sectional areas. The post-surgery CT data
is also of extremely high quality and spans the hip through the ankle, which
allowed us to create a subject-specific geometric model that includes a
hemi-pelvis, talus, and part of the calcaneus. Strength data and
fluoroscopic motion data are still being processed and will be uploaded at a
future date.

We are going to make three modifications to how the competition is run this
year:

1)      We will release the in vivo contact force measurements for the
competition gait trials to all competitors shortly after abstract and
contact force submission is closed. Competitors will then evaluate the
sensitivity of their medial and lateral contact force predictions to model
parameter values that they deem worthy of investigating, with the goal of
determining which parameter values need to be changed to achieve medial and
lateral contact force estimates consistent with the experimental data.
During the competition workshop at the conference, competitors will be
required to present their original blinded contact force predictions, their
updated unblinded contact force predictions, and a brief discussion of what
they needed to change to get their predictions to match the experimental
measurements more closely.

2)      We are going to calculate accuracy using RMS errors and R^2 values
so that predictions that follow the correct trends, but not necessarily the
correct values, will be given greater consideration. Accuracy of competition
submissions will still be evaluated based solely on the blinded predictions.

3)      We will allow previous competition winners to participate this year
to encourage continued innovation in the development and assessment of new
musculoskeletal modeling methods.

Please note that we have also released the instrumented knee data for the
gait trials from the first two competitions. Please cite the reference
indicated on the competition website in any publications that use any of the
competition data or models.

We hope to see broad participation from the musculoskeletal modeling
research community for this year's competition. Please post any questions
you have about the competition on the Public Forum of the Simtk.org
competition website.

Best regards,

B.J. Fregly, University of Florida

Darryl D'Lima, Shiley Center at Scripps Clinic

Thor Besier, University of Auckland