[Kneeloads-news] Information Request for Knee Grand Challenge Final Report

B.J. Fregly fregly at ufl.edu
Sun Aug 30 20:18:08 PDT 2015

Dear Knee Grand Challenge Competitors and Data Users,

Darryl D’Lima, Thor Besier, and I would like to thank everyone who has
competed in the Knee Grand Challenge Competitions over the past six years,
as well as everyone who has used the data sets and OpenSim models for other
purposes.

We are in the process of writing our final project report for NIH, and I
would like to collect some information from any of you who would be willing
to provide it. This information will be valuable not only to NIH for
evaluating the return on their financial investment, but also to us for
planning a follow-on project with a next-generation instrumented knee
design.

Below is a list of the information *from the past two years only* (we have
data from prior years) that would be extremely valuable to obtain from you:

1) Please provide details for any journal manuscripts, book chapters, or
conference papers that you have published that either used the Knee Grand
Challenge data sets or models directly or at least referenced them in the
publication.

2) Please provide details (student name, dissertation title, year
completed, and academic institution) for any PhD dissertations completed
that used the Knee Grand Challenge data sets or models for some important
purpose in the dissertation.

3) Please provide details (course name, graduate or undergraduate, semester
and year offered, institution where offered) for any courses you have
taught that used the Knee Grand Challenge data sets or models in some
important way.

4) Please provide details (title of talk, date, location) for any invited
presentations that you gave where Knee Grand Challenge data sets or models
played an important role in the presentation.

5) Please provide details (proposal title, PI, funding agency, proposal
status, and project start date if funded) for any grant proposals that you
submitted that would not have been possible without the availability of the
Knee Grand Challenge data sets and models.

6) Finally, please provide any comments (that we can quote) that express
your view of the value and impact the Knee Grand Challenge has had on the
international musculoskeletal modeling research community and on the
potential value and impact of making additional data sets and models
available in the future (e.g., data sets collected longitudinally from
pre-surgery to several time points post-surgery during the rehabilitation
process, or data sets collected outside the lab while the subject performs
normal activities in the community).

I realize that this is a long list of questions, so I thank you in advance
for any responses that you can provide for us. *If you could get some quick
information back to me within the next 5 days, I would greatly appreciate
it.*

We hope that our NIH-funded project has achieved its intended goal of
making these valuable data sets and models available to the entire research
community in a way that has promoted improvement of musculoskeletal
modeling methods and has heightened awareness of the need to validate our
model predictions using in vivo experimental data.

Best regards,
B.J. Fregly

B.J. Fregly, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
231 MAE-A Building
P.O. Box 116250
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL  32611-6250