[Mobilizeplans-starstudents] TEST EMAIL

Diane Bush dbush1 at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 20 12:44:41 PDT 2016

We were having some problems getting this email list to work so this is just a test - ignore!

: )

The next Mobilize Center Seminar is scheduled for today, Thursday, October 20, and will feature three presenters from Lumo BodyTech: Andrew Chang, Rebecca Shultz and Daniel Ly.  We look forward to seeing you!

TITLE:
The Biomechanics, Algorithms & Data Behind Lumo Run

WHEN:
Thursday, October 20
noon - 1 pm

WHERE:
Y2E2 300, Stanford University

Abstract:
Recent advancements in wearable technology provide an unprecedented opportunity to study novel aspects in running mechanics, from analyzing fatigue by actively tracking runners in their natural environment, to understanding how real-time coaching can be used to improve running performance and reduce the risk of injury. This talk will provide an overview of Lumo Run, a wearable platform that coaches runners on their form in real-time.

The platform consists of a small inertial measurement unit (IMU) that attaches to a runner’s waistband, and a software platform that analyzes and evaluates different aspects of a runner’s form, including cadence, vertical oscillation (bounce), change in forward velocity (braking), ground contact time, pelvic drop, and pelvic rotation.  This talk will focus on the development behind the Lumo Run platform and the results of our accuracy validation tests that allow our platform to achieve high correlations to lab-grade motion-capture systems at a fraction of the price.

In addition, a key benefit of Lumo Run is that we can study the statistics and trends of runner populations of unparalleled size, which includes wide variations in skill levels and age. We will briefly discuss some preliminary results regarding our population studies, along with other interesting questions.

Presenters Include:
Rebecca Shultz, a PhD clinical biomechanist specializing in sports and health science, is a Product Researcher and Designer at Lumo BodyTech Inc. As an avid runner and a certified health coach, Rebecca is passionate about running form and providing insights to help runners achieve their goals. Previous to joining Lumo, she worked at the Human Performance Lab (HPL) at Stanford University Sports Medicine Center for 8 years, and continues to work for Stanford Health Care and the Stanford RunSafe Clinics.  She has a Doctorate Degree in Kinesiology.

Daniel Ly, PhD is an Algorithms Engineer at Lumo BodyTech Inc., where he is responsible for the developing algorithms that extract biomechanical data from wearable technologies. His past research has focused on how algorithms can be used to automatically discover underlying and latent structure from data. Prior to joining Lumo, he was a postdoctoral scholar in the Stanford Computation and Cognition lab, where he worked on the optimal experiment design for probabilistic models. Daniel received his BASc in Engineering Science from the University of Toronto, MASC in Computer Engineering from the University of Toronto, and his PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Cornell University.

Andrew Chang, Co-Founder & CTO at Lumo BodyTech, where he is interested in building technology to enhance our relationships with ourselves, each other and the world around us.

Please see Mobilize Events<http://mobilize.stanford.edu/events/> for a list of upcoming speakers.

Diane Bush
Assistant to Professor Scott Delp
NMBL, Mobilize Center, OpenSim