[Mobilizeplans-starstudents] Mobilize Center Seminar on February 23

Diane Bush dbush1 at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 21 09:16:34 PST 2017

Our next Mobilize Center Seminar will be held on Thursday, February 23rd and will feature two speakers.  Distinguished Mobilize Center postdoctoral fellow Mazen Al Borno will be speaking on Simulation of Upper Extremity Movements in Stroke Subjects and Muscle Synergies.  Mobilize Center graduate student Ya Le will present on Distributed Machine Learning.  We look forward to seeing you!

TITLE:
Simulation of Upper Extremity Movements in Stroke Subjects and Muscle Synergies
Mazen Al Borno

WHEN:
Thursday, February 23
noon - 12:30 pm

WHERE:
Y2E2 300, Stanford University

Abstract:
I'll discuss two projects that I have started working on for my postdoctoral fellowship at the Mobilize Center.  One project is to simulate upper extremity movements of stroke patients in order to guide rehabilitation.  The other project is to reduce the dimensionality of high-dimensional musculoskeletal systems by using muscle synergies for model predictive control.

AND

TITLE:
Distributed Machine Learning
Ya Le

WHEN:
Thursday, February 23
12:30 - 1:00 pm

WHERE:
Y2E2 300, Stanford University

Abstract:
Nowadays a lot of data are on a massive scale, which gives rise to two challenges: 1) data is too big to hold in a single computer’s memory, and 2) the computing task can take too long to wait for results. Therefore, people need to use multiple machines and distributed algorithms to work with such data. We develop an iterative distributed algorithm which 1) is communication-efficient and friendly to black-box algorithms, 2) can be applied to any estimator or prediction,  and 3) can perform almost as good as if you could fit the entire data on a single machine.

Please see Mobilize Events<http://mobilize.stanford.edu/events/> for a list of upcoming speakers.

Diane Bush
Assistant to Professor Scott Delp
NMBL, Mobilize Center, OpenSim