[Mobilizeplans-starstudents] Mobilize Center Seminar: Thursday, January 19

Diane Bush dbush1 at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 16 17:36:51 PST 2017

Happy New Year!

The first Mobilize Center Seminar of 2017 will be Thursday, January 19, and features Mobilize Center graduate student, Tim Althoff.  We look forward to seeing you!

TITLE:
Countering the inactivity pandemic: How social networks, gamification, and the built environment might get us to move again

WHEN:
Thursday, January 19
noon - 1 pm

WHERE:
Y2E2 300, Stanford University

Abstract:
While regular physical activity is critical to human health, most people do not get enough exercise. There have been many efforts to stimulate physical activity, but with mixed results and limited success. Recent approaches have started using smartphone apps, wearable devices, social networks, and games to increase physical activity. However, to what degree these approaches are successful and how their impact could be maximized is presently unclear. We will present results from recent and ongoing studies on the effect of online social networks, gamification (walking challenges and Pokémon Go), and the build environment on physical activity. Throughout these studies we harness large-scale data from mobile phones, wearable devices, online social networks, and search query logs that enable an unprecedented view of physical activity across millions of individuals.

Please see Mobilize Events<http://mobilize.stanford.edu/events/> for a list of upcoming speakers.

Diane Bush
Assistant to Professor Scott Delp
NMBL, Mobilize Center, OpenSim