[Mobilizeplans-starstudents] Mobilize Center Seminar: Thursday, January 26

Diane Bush dbush1 at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 23 11:39:11 PST 2017

Our next Mobilize Center Seminar is scheduled for Thursday, January 26, and features Professor Ruzena Bajcsy from the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences at the University of California, Berkeley.  We look forward to seeing you!

TITLE:

Personalized model of kinematic and dynamic of physical activities

WHEN:
Thursday, January 26
noon - 1 pm

WHERE:
Y2E2 300, Stanford University

Abstract:

By now it has become a cliché that the population in the industrial world is aging, making physical agility a serious health problem. This issue is aggravated even with the younger population due to our sedentary life style. It also is an undeniable (perhaps even too obvious) fact that every human’s anatomy and physiology is different. In recognition of this fact, we are focusing our efforts on the development of personalized models of the kinematics and dynamics of an individual during physical activities.

The above mentioned kinematic and dynamical models are facilitated by two recent developments:

1.     The availability of various relatively inexpensive/affordable and noninvasive devices that can deliver the necessary parameters of the position, velocity, acceleration, masses of not only the body but of individual limbs, as well as the forces generated during various physical activities. These devices are not only the standard cameras, motion capture, force plates and force sensors, and inertial measuring devices, but also devices such as hand-held ultrasound cameras and infrared sensors measuring oxygen in the blood. More advanced sensors are rapidly developing.

2.     Mathematical and computational tools coming mainly from the field of robotics, control theory and optimization theory that can reliably process all the measurements and additionally, interpret them so that they generate the individual kinematic and dynamic predictive models of an individual’s physical performance. These models predict not only the physical performance of the individual but also delineate the boundaries of stable reachable space both for kinematic workspace as well as for dynamic workspace.

In this presentation, we will show how we use measurements of the kinematic and dynamic parameters of the individual. We will be testing the validity of our approach/our predictive performance on subjects at multiple locations.

Bio:
Ruzena Bajcsy received the Master's and Ph.D. degrees in electrical engineering from Slovak Technical University, Bratislava, Slovak Republic, in 1957 and 1967, respectively, and the Ph.D. in computer science from Stanford University, Stanford, CA, in 1972. She is a Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences at the University of California, Berkeley, and Director Emeritus of the Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Science (CITRIS). Prior to joining Berkeley, she headed the Computer and Information Science and Engineering Directorate at the National Science Foundation. Dr. Bajcsy is a member of the National Academy of Engineering and the National Academy of Science Institute of Medicine as well as a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and the American Association for Artificial Intelligence. In 2001, she received the ACM/Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence Allen Newell Award, and was named as one of the 50 most important women in science in the November 2002 issue of Discover Magazine. She is the recipient of the Benjamin Franklin Medal for Computer and Cognitive Sciences (2009) and the IEEE Robotics and Automation Award (2013) for her contributions in the field of robotics and automation. She is the recipient of the NAE Simon Rama Founders Arad for 2016.

Please see Mobilize Events<http://mobilize.stanford.edu/events/> for a list of upcoming speakers.

Diane Bush
Assistant to Professor Scott Delp
NMBL, Mobilize Center, OpenSim