[Mobilizeplans-starstudents] Katherine Heller, Mobilize Center Seminar, May 4th

Diane Bush dbush1 at stanford.edu
Mon May 1 09:17:26 PDT 2017

Our next Mobilize Center Seminar is scheduled for Thursday, May 4th, and features Katherine Heller from Duke University.  She will be presenting “Mobile Apps and Machine Learning for Improving Healthcare”.  If you would like to meet with Katherine one-on-one afterwards, please email us at mobilize-center at stanford.edu<mailto:mobilize-center at stanford.edu>.

Just a reminder, our seminars will be held on a monthly basis (see Spring quarter schedule below). We look forward to seeing you Thursday and at future seminars!

TITLE:
Mobile Apps and Machine Learning for Improving Healthcare

WHEN:
Thursday, May 4
noon - 1 pm

WHERE:
Y2E2 300, Stanford University

Abstract:
The first part of this talk centers on the analysis of student influenza data. Students in dormitories at the University of Michigan were given smartphones with a mobile app, called iEpi, that captured data about their locations, interactions, and disease symptoms. We developed Graph-coupled Hidden Markov Models (GCHMMs) which use this data to predict whether a student was likely to fall ill due to their interactions. Using a hierarchical version of GCHMMs we can combine with demographic data and see that certain characteristics, such as drinking, and poor sleep quality, increased the likelihood of contracting influenza, as well as recovery time.

The second part discusses the development of a new mobile app, MS Mosaic, for tracking symptoms in multiple sclerosis (MS) patients. The app includes data in the form of daily surveys, fitness tracker information, and mobile phone task data. The daily surveys about symptoms and medications can potentially be completed with a single notification swipe; sleep and activity data can be collected passively using HealthKit; and mobile phone tasks include finger tapping, gait analysis, as well as additional cognitive and motor tasks. Data collected provides an opportunity for the development of novel machine learning methods for learning about chronic disease and novel sensor types. The app will soon be released to the Apple app store, and piloted in clinic at Duke University.

Bio:
Katherine Heller is an Assistant Professor in Statistical Science at Duke University. She is the recent recipient of a Google faculty research award, a first round BRAIN initiative award from the NSF, as well as a CAREER award. She received her PhD from the Gatsby Computational Neuroscience Unit at UCL, and was a postdoc at the University of Cambridge on an EPSRC postdoc fellowship, and at MIT on an NSF postdoc fellowship.

Upcoming Mobilize Center seminars:

June 1 – Peter Bailis, Stanford University<https://engineering.stanford.edu/people/peter-bailis>
June 8 – Ambuj Tewari, University of Michigan<https://lsa.umich.edu/stats/people/faculty/tewaria.html>

To keep up-to-date on upcoming speakers and the dates, visit Mobilize Events<http://mobilize.stanford.edu/events/>.