[Mobilizeplans-starstudents] Mobilize Center Seminar, Paroma Varma, Jan 18

Diane Bush dbush1 at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 9 14:18:38 PST 2018

Our first 2018 Mobilize Center Seminar is scheduled for Thursday, January 18th, and features Paroma Varma, PhD candidate in the Electrical Engineering at Stanford. She will be presenting “Coral - Efficiently Labeling Image, Video, and Time-Series Training Data”.

The Mobilize Center seminars are held once a month.  Please check Mobilize Events<http://mobilize.stanford.edu/events/> for updates.

We look forward to seeing you in January and at future seminars!

TITLE:
Coral - Efficiently Labeling Image, Video, and Time-Series Training Data

WHEN:
Thursday, January 18th
noon - 1 pm

WHERE:
Y2E2 300, Stanford University

Abstract:
Deep learning methods today rely on the availability of large, labeled training sets for their success. Gathering this amount of labeled data has now become a major bottleneck in the machine learning pipeline. This talk will introduce our method to efficiently label training data by using a small collection of user-defined heuristics. Due to the small number of interpretable features for non-text data, our method takes advantage of the programmatic structure of these heuristics to better model their accuracies and assign probabilistic labels to training data. Finally, the talk will also discuss ongoing work on generating interpretable heuristics to label data automatically.
Bio:
Paroma Varma is a 3rd year Ph.D. candidate in the Electrical Engineering department at Stanford University, advised by Professor Christopher Ré. Her research interests revolve making machine learning easily usable for domain experts who do not have access to the massive datasets required for training complex models. She is also interested in exploring the intersection between machine learning and programming languages to improve how models are supervised and reduce user effort in training these models. Her research is funded by the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship and the Stanford Graduate Fellowship.
To keep up-to-date on upcoming speakers and the dates, visit Mobilize Events<http://mobilize.stanford.edu/events/>.
Diane Bush
Assistant to Professor Scott Delp
NMBL, Mobilize Center, OpenSim