[Openmm-team] OpenMM status ?

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Wed Dec 3 18:47:08 PST 2008

----- "Vijay Pande" <pande at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Hi,

Hiya,

> We are working towards a release, but it's possible that we could
> give you a preview copy if you're interested.  It would have a more
> restrictive license (you can't distribute the code and we'd have to
> talk about publication issues), but you could certainly check it out.

That sounds very interesting, I'll talk to the team about that
when they're back from the parallel programming course they're
on at the moment.

The project is for just 3 months (end of February), and I don't
believe they're intending to try and publish anything before Feb
(if they have time, it's more important that they get useful
information than try for a formal publication - though it'd be nice).

> The main issue is that we would like to get our paper out describing
> OpenMM out before releasing the code, so that academics will have
> something to cite to give credit to the OpenMM team for their work.

Coming from a sysadmin/free software background that's not
something I've come across before, but I can understand from
an academic grant point of view why it might be important. :-)

> Let me know if you think that might work.

Will do, I'd be quietly hopeful about it but let me check.

All the best,
Chris