[Openmm-team] gromacs @ gpu

Peter Eastman peastman at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 20 10:38:45 PST 2009

Hi Maik,

We are almost ready (within days, hopefully) to release OpenMM Preview
Release 2.  It includes GPU code for an O(N^2) algorithm, as well as a
version of Gromacs modified to use OpenMM.  We have a paper currently
in press describing our results with it.  We have observed speedups of
well over 100x compared to AMBER.  We haven't compared it to Gromacs,
since it uses implicit solvent which Gromacs doesn't yet support.

We are also working on an O(N) algorithm so we can handle larger
systems with explicit solvent.  We don't have any numbers for that
yet, but hopefully it will also have quite large speedups.  It will
probably be a few months before that is ready to release, though.

Peter