[Opensim-announcement] OpenSim Software Release and Upcoming Events

opensim-announcement at simtk.org opensim-announcement at simtk.org
Thu Mar 13 09:15:38 PDT 2014

*Download the New OpenSim 3.2 Software Release*
In OpenSim 3.2 <https://simtk.org/project/xml/downloads.xml?group_id=91>,
we've focused on improving the OpenSim scripting interface, accessible
through the Graphical User Interface (GUI), Matlab, and now Python. We've
also added new visualization capabilities and usability improvements in the
OpenSim application. As with every release, we've also implemented
performance improvements and bug fixes.
*Read the full Feature List
<http://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:8080/display/OpenSim/New+Features+in+OpenSim+3.2>
and Upgrade Notes
<http://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:8080/display/OpenSim/Upgrade+Notes+for+OpenSim+3.2>
on our website.*

*Learn About OpenSim at the Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting*
NCSRR Director Scott Delp is a panelist in a workshop on Open Source
Computational Mechanics Tools for Orthopaedics at the ORS meeting in New
Orleans. The workshop will feature an overview of musculoskeletal
simulations with OpenSim from Dr. Delp, along with presentations from
Gerard Ateshian and Jeffrey Weiss on FEBio.

*Saturday March 15, 9:00am to 10:30amRead more on the ORS website
<http://www.ors.org/2014-workshops/>.*

*Try the Dynamic Walker Challenge and Tune-in to Past Webinars*
Our recent OpenSim webinar, led by Daniel Jacobs, focused on using Matlab
scripting to build models and run simulations. The webinar also includes a
hands-on portion. Starting with the provided example files, you can build
your own walker and submit a video for the chance to win an OpenSim shirt.
The deadline to submit a video entry is April 1.
*Read more, watch the webinar, and participate
<http://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:8080/display/OpenSim/Dynamic+Walker+Competition+January+2014>*
.
*You can also find all of our past webinars on the OpenSim YouTube Channel
<http://www.youtube.com/user/OpenSimVideos>.*

*OpenSim Community Members Earn Awards for Their Research*
Several students have recently been recognized for their work with OpenSim:

Florida high school students Christopher Fregly and Brandon Kim took first
place in the Physics and Astronomy category at the Alachua Regional Science
Fair. Working with NASA, Fregly and Kim used the OpenSim software to
predict simple ways that astronauts could modify the standard squat
exercise to be more effective at maintaining muscle mass on the
International Space Station. They will be going on to compete in the
Florida State Science Fair in April and in the prestigious Intel
International Science and Engineering Fair in May.
*Read more here
<http://www.gainesville.com/article/20140211/ARTICLES/140219919>.*

Oregon State University undergraduate Jade Montgomery won two awards from
the College of Engineering for her research work conducted with Ravi
Balasubramanian. Awards included the Undergraduate Researcher of the Year
for 2013 and First Place in the poster competition at "Celebrating
Undergraduate Excellence", 2013. Jade used OpenSim to study how effective
implanted engineering mechanisms are in tendon-transfer surgery.  Jade is
now a biomechanics graduate student at Virginia Tech.
*Read more at Dr. Balasubramanian's
website.*<http://web.engr.oregonstate.edu/%7Ebalasubr/>

--
*Jennifer Hicks, Ph.D.*