[Opensim-announcement] Webinar, Visiting Scholars, Machine Learning Challenge, and ISB Events

Jennifer Hicks jenhicks at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 10 12:55:29 PDT 2019

*Webinar: Human-machine Interfacing via Real-time Neuromechanical Modeling*
*July 18, 2019 at 10am Pacific Time*We invite you to join us for a webinar
featuring Massimo Sartori from the University of Twente. In this webinar,
Sartori will describe a system for real-time model-based control of bionic
limbs and robotic exoskeletons using OpenSim and the CEINMS open-source
toolbox. Learn more and register
<https://opensim.stanford.edu/support/event_details.php?id=221&title=Human-machine-Interfacing-via-Real-time-Neuromechanical-Modeling>
.

*2019 NCSRR Visiting Scholars Announced*The NCSRR is hosting its ninth
round of Visiting Scholars this summer. The program is a unique experience
that fosters expertise and collaborations in biomechanical simulations for
rehabilitation research. We've selected four exceptional candidates from a
highly competitive pool of applicants. Congratulations to our 2019
Scholars: Antoine Motte dit Falisse, Brett Steineman, Prasanna Sritharan,
and Benjamin Wheatley. Read more about the scholars and their projects
<https://opensim.stanford.edu/support/scholars.html#2019Scholars>.

*Participate in a Machine Learning Challenge with OpenSim*
*Round One Entries Due: October 13, 2019*
Seungmoon Song and Łukasz Kidziński, postdoctoral fellows at Stanford
University, are organizing a scientific challenge to develop a controller
that enables a 3D human model to walk. Based on the OpenSim platform, this
challenge is one of the official competitions at Neural Information
Processing Systems (NeurIPS) 2019.

The challenge this year includes a separate track for the most novel
biomechanics solution. Prizes include an Xsens 3D motion capture suit and
software license. Winners will also be invited to submit their solution to
the Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation and publish with no fee,
if accepted.

Details on how to participate, including information on free resources to
get started, are available at the NeurIPS 2019: Learn to Move Challenge
<https://www.aicrowd.com/challenges/neurips-2019-learn-to-move-walk-around>
website. You can learn more about reinforcement learning and the challenge
in our past webinar, Robust Control Strategies for Musculoskeletal Models
Using Deep Reinforcement Learning
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2D5xSSxshE>.

*Learn about OpenSim Research at ISB*
We are looking forward to seeing many members of the OpenSim community at
the 2019 Congress of the International Society of Biomechanics (ISB) and
the TGCS satellite meeting in just a few weeks. There are several
opportunities to learn about the latest OpenSim research and development at
Stanford and elsewhere:

   - *Attend a symposia chaired by OpenSim Fellows. *Fellows from Stanford
   University and several other institutions are organizing symposia with an
   exciting set of invited speakers. Topics include wearable sensing and
   breakthroughs in dynamic simulation. See the full list on the ISB website
   <https://isb2019.com/en/84-congress-info/88-symposia-topics>.
   - *Participate in a workshop at TGCS. *The OpenSim team will be running
   a workshop at the 17th International Symposium on Computer Simulation in
   Biomechanics (TGCS 2019) to introduce OpenSim Moco, a new software package
   for solving common problems in simulation biomechanics, including tracking
   simulations, predictive simulations, and muscle-redundancy problems. To
   participate in the workshop, register for TGCS and check the box for the
   OpenSim Workshop. Learn more
   <https://isbweb.org/~tgcs/iscsb-2019/canmore.html>.
   - *Stay tuned for more details about an OpenSim meet-up. *We are working
   on organizing an informal meet-up for researchers using musculoskeletal
   modeling and simulation. We'll share more details soon.

--
*Jennifer Hicks, Ph.D.*
Director of Data Science | Mobilize Center <http://mobilize.stanford.edu>
650-498-4403 | jenhicks at stanford.edu