[Opensim-announcement] OpenSim Software Release, Research Opportunity, Office Hours

Jen Hicks jenhicks at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 31 12:43:22 PDT 2021

*OpenSim 4.2 Available for Download*

We are pleased to announce OpenSim 4.2 <https://simtk.org/frs/?group_id=91>,
the newest version of the OpenSim software. The new software brings
improvements that make it easier to use inertial measurement unit (IMU)
data and the state-of-the-art direct collocation method with
OpenSim. OpenSense, our workflow for working with IMU data, is now directly
available in the OpenSim application (GUI), where you can visualize your
IMU data and compute inverse kinematics. OpenSim Moco, our workflow for
using direct collocation, is now available directly with OpenSim's Python,
Matlab, and C++ interfaces. Read more about the new features
<https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=48988768>
 and download OpenSim 4.2 <https://simtk.org/frs/?group_id=91>

*Rice Computational Neuromechanics Lab Openings for PhD Students and
Post-doctoral Researcher *

The Rice Computational Neuromechanics Lab <https://rcnl.rice.edu/> directed
by Dr. B.J. Fregly is looking for two PhD students and one post-doctoral
researcher to work on a new five-year project with OpenSim. The project
will develop innovative software technology that allows engineers working
in collaboration with clinicians to design effective personalized surgical
and neurorehabilitation interventions for movement impairments. Such
impairments often result from clinical conditions such as stroke,
osteoarthritis, spinal cord injury, and even cancer. The proposed software
will create a virtual representation of the patient’s neuromusculoskeletal
system and then apply virtual treatments to the virtual patient to identify
the treatment design that will maximize post-treatment movement function. Learn
more and apply  <https://simtk.org/opportunities.php>

*Apply to Participate in Virtual Office Hours for Biomechanical Modeling or
Machine Learning Research Questions*

*Applications due: April 9, 2021, 5 PM local time*

*Meeting dates: Weeks of April 19 and April 26, 2021*

We encourage you to apply to our April Virtual Office Hours to support
researchers working with wearable sensors, video technology, and other
modalities in rehabilitation research. These office hours are offered as
part of the training efforts of our Restore <https://restore.stanford.edu/>
 and Mobilize <https://mobilize.stanford.edu/> Centers. We will have two
tracks: 1) Biomechanical modeling with OpenSim
<https://opensim.stanford.edu/> and IMUs
<https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu/display/OpenSim/OpenSense+-+Kinematics+with+IMU+Data>
or
video, and 2) Machine learning, including video analysis. All phases of a
research project are supported, such as formulating a research question,
choosing and planning appropriate methods, and addressing issues with
carrying out the study. We welcome and encourage individuals to apply as a
team, if applicable. Learn more and apply
<https://mobilize.stanford.edu/2021/03/12/apply-to-participate-in-virtual-office-hours-for-biomechanical-modeling-or-machine-learning-research-questions-2/>

--
*Jennifer Hicks, Ph.D.*
Director of Data Science | Mobilize Center <http://mobilize.stanford.edu/>