[Population Modeling] IMAG Population Modeling WG; defining the field by examples

Hunt, C. Anthony a.hunt at ucsf.edu
Wed Dec 24 09:16:34 PST 2014

Population Modeling Working Group members:

We believe that some of our work is relevant to the field.

Phenomena that characterize many health-influencing interventions exhibit considerable intra- and interindividual variability.  We are early on a M&S methodology path intended to provide mechanistic explanations that can be tailored to individual patients.

We utilize non-reductionist agent-oriented methods.  Mechanisms within our models are parsimonious and thus relatively coarse grain.
A recent paper explaining the need for such methods:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wsbm.1222/full

Active projects:
1) Considerable intra-individual variability is observed for some individuals but not others in bioavailability of generic drug products.  Why?
Recent paper:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0108392

2) There is considerable intra- and interindividual variability in phenomena resulting from drug induced liver injury.   Why?
Recent paper:
http://biosystems.ucsf.edu/publications/FinalSSCManuscript15May14authCopy.pdf

3) There is considerable interindividual variability in fracture healing, especially the occurrence of fracture non-unions.  Why?
This project is earlier stage.

4) Answering that above questions requires that analog mechanisms are modular.
Recent paper:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1752-0509/8/95/abstract

Other publications: http://biosystems.ucsf.edu/publications.html

Commentary and questions welcomed.