[Population Modeling] Introduction to SCS

Andreas Tolk andreas.tolk at simisinc.com
Wed Apr 22 09:46:56 PDT 2015

Hello all!
Great to see that the first declarations of interests are already rolling in for this endeavor. Here some more information on the Society for Modeling and Simulation (SCS):

SCS's mission is fivefold:
To promote modeling and simulation as a discipline and a profession
To contribute to the development of its theoretic foundations
To foster its application in new areas through research and education
To provide a forum to publish, present, and discuss new results, developments, applications, and lessons learned
To provide a forum enabling the exchange between and mutual support of industry, government, and academia

Besides supporting two journals, Simulation: Transactions of SCS and the Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation (JDMS), the main activity of SCS is organizing conferences. The two main conferences are the Spring and Summer Simulation Multiconferences. Jacob attended the recent SpringSim, and we talked about giving structure and a conference home to meet and exchange ideas on population modeling. The Annual Simulation Symposium (ANSS) is part of SpringSim and designed to support sessions or mini-tracks in support of new ideas.

We identified two options, that are not exclusive but mutually supportive.
*         The first one is to collect papers. An SCS paper is a typical conference paper that will be peer reviewed and - if accepted - published in the ACM Digital Library. It will also be presented at the conference, normally getting a 20-25 min spot plus 5-10 min for discussions (to be continued in the break or the evening). We need three accepted papers to set up a session. If we will more session, we can even set up a track within ANSS.
*         The second one is organizing an expert panel. A panel usually gets 90 minutes to present and discuss expert positions and opinions, orchestrated by a chair. The chair is also invited to collect position papers from the experts in advance and create a panel paper, that also needs to go through a peer review process, but more for checking if any SCS constraints are violated, as expert opinions cannot be declared to be wrong. It is always nice to have such a paper, as it helps the group to focus and is also something tangible that survives the panel itself (and it becomes an archived paper as well). Nonetheless, the panel paper is optional.

What I discussed with Jacob is trying to identify a population modeling topic of broader interest and organize a panel, and in addition invite more people to submit a paper.

I would like to see this happening, as I think you have a great opportunity to reach out and spread your research results.
All the best wishes
Andreas
Andreas Tolk, PhD
Chief Scientist SimIS Inc.