[Population Modeling] Betr: Thanks for the invitation to present myself. This links to my university home page with some information on current projects.

Talitha Feenstra talitha.feenstra at rivm.nl
Fri Jan 2 03:38:11 PST 2015

Thanks for the invitation to present myself. This links to my university home page with some information on current projects and list of publications.
http://www.rug.nl/staff/t.l.feenstra/

However, most of my pop modeling work is related to my other affiliation at the Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) and concerns economic evaluation of prevention. The largest part has been using the RIVM chronic disease model developed by Rudolf Hoogenveen and others.
This model simulates aggregates, modeling the Dutch population, specific to age and gender. It describes the relation between several lifestyle risk factors (smoking, drinking, food intake) as well as intermediate outcomes (blood pressure, cholesterol, bmi) and a range of chronic diseases. Outcomes are morbidity, mortality and what can be linked to these (QALYs and costs). More on the model through this link:
http://www.nationaalkompas.nl/algemeen/meta-informatie/modellen/cdm/..

Furthermore, we made extensions of this model to disease specific populations though, for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Diabetes.
Refences are :
http://www.valueinhealthjournal.com/article/S1098-3015(11)01532-4/abstract?_returnURL=http%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS1098301511015324%3Fshowall%3Dtrue
http://www.valueinhealthjournal.com/article/S1098-3015(14)01782-3/abstract?_returnURL=http%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS1098301514017823%3Fshowall%3Dtrue

http://www.emgo.nl/research/lifestyle-overweight-and-diabetes/research-projects/625/-cost-effectiveness-of-care-for-patients-with-type-2-diabetes-an-evaluation-of-an-innovative-shared-diabetes-care-model-/methods/

I used another related model for a recent project for Chafea. In this project we have made projections of life expectancy and healthy life expectancy for all EU countries, and corrected these for differences in three lifestyle factors.
The DYNAMO-HIA model was developed jointly by RIVM and ErasmusMC and several international partners. It can be freely downloaded and is adaptable by using different sets of input data. http://www.dynamo-hia.eu/
In a new project we want to use this same model as the basis for developing regio specific models that add up to a national model. And think about smart ways to do so, using regio specfic data when available, but national data when needed. I would be interested in discussing some of the issues met in that project with the group members.

Finally, my best wishes for 2015.

Kind regards, Talitha Feenstra

Proclaimer RIVM http://www.rivm.nl/Proclaimer