[Population Modeling] Introduction

Naren Ramakrishnan naren at cs.vt.edu
Thu Jan 8 04:05:40 PST 2015

Colleagues,

I am a computer scientist by training and most of my recent work focuses on
developing models for forecasting population-level events, e.g., disease
outbreaks, civil unrest, elections. We are supported by an IARPA OSI
project that aims to use open source information (news, blogs, tweets,
economic indicators) to develop algorithms that can identify precursors and
surrogates for events, and model their progression. We are a data analytics
group and work closely with many domain experts (epidemiologists, social
scientists, economics, political scientists) in developing our approaches.

Some references to my group's work:
1. Forecasting a Moving Target: Ensemble Models for ILI Case Count
Predictions (SDM'14)
http://people.cs.vt.edu/~naren/papers/2014_SDM_Forecast_Camera.Ready.pdf

2. `Beating the news' with EMBERS: Forecasting Civil Unrest using Open
Source Indicators (KDD'14)
http://people.cs.vt.edu/~naren/papers/kddindg1572-ramakrishnan.pdf

3. Flu Gone Viral: Syndromic Surveillance of Flu on Twitter using Temporal
Models (ICDM'14)
http://people.cs.vt.edu/~naren/papers/twitter-topic-icdm14.pdf

Best,
Naren

--
Naren Ramakrishnan
Thomas L. Phillips Professor of Engineering

Web: http://www.cs.vt.edu/~naren
DAC: http://dac.cs.vt.edu
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dacvt