[Population Modeling] Introduction

Vivek Balaraman vivek.balaraman at tcs.com
Mon Apr 25 05:30:51 PDT 2016

Hello, my name is Vivek Balaraman and I work in the Human Centric Systems
Research Group in TCS Research, an industrial research unit. We work in
the area of grounded fine grained behavioural models of human populations
with our current focus being to model work teams and groups within
organizations. By grounded we mean that we would like our model elements
to be grounded in observations and studies and not assumed and by fine
grained we mean that we are trying to see how multiple behavioural
dimensions such as personality or affect influence decision making. We are
doing this using 3 techniques: we are conducting studies on the ground
using surveys as well as other data collection techniques, we are also
mining past literature for useful empirical results in a context and we
are working towards using serious games to capture behaviour. Through
these processes we are populating a behaviour patterns repository which we
hope in time will provide foundational elements to build behaviour models
of entities in a context. The business use of this work is to help us
understand existing behaviour of organizations, do what-if analysis of
hypothetical situations as well as a sandbox to test out behaviour change
interventions.

Some of our recent papers:

Singh M, Duggirala M, Hayatnagarkar H, Balaraman V, A Multi-Agent Model of
Workgroup Behaviour in an Enterprise using a Compositional Approach.,
ModSym Workshop 2016
Patel S Mahamuni M, Singh M, Clarance D, Duggirala M, Sharma S, Katiyar K,
Deshpande G, Deshmukh A, Vaibhav, Balaraman V, Mining multi-source data to
study workplace activity patterns, Conference on Data Science CoDS 2016
Singh M, Duggirala M, Hayatnagarkar H, Patel S, Balaraman V, Towards Fine
Grained Human Behaviour Simulation Models, Under Submission
Duggirala M, Singh M, Hayatnagarkar H, Balaraman V, Understanding Impact
of Stress on Workplace Outcomes Using an Agent Based Simulation, Under
Submission

Vivek Balaraman
Tata Research Development and Design Centre
Tata Consultancy Services
Ph:-   +912066086447
Cell:- +919225117164
Mailto: vivek.balaraman at tcs.com