[Population Modeling] Invitation to Contribute to the Special Issue “Individual-Based Ecological Modeling”

Robin Gras rgras at uwindsor.ca
Wed Dec 7 12:32:41 PST 2016

We are organizing a special issue that may be of interest to you. As Guest Editor, I cordially invite you to submit a manuscript for consideration and possible publication in a Special Issue on "Individual-Based Ecological Modeling" to be published in Geosciences (http://www.mdpi.com/journal/geosciences), an open access journal of geoscience, future earth and planetary science, published quarterly online by MDPI, indexed by Scopus.

The purpose of this Special Issue of Geoscience is to present different methodologies that have been designed to model complex ecological and evolutionary systems at the individual level. The domain of application of such models is quite broad. It ranges from systems involving a small population of interacting individuals for the purpose of behavioral studies to systems modeling large scale spatio-temporal environments to investigate evolutionary mechanisms. The main objective of this modeling is to highlight the importance of individual interactions in the emergence of high level systemic patterns.

With the focus being on individual-based approaches, papers are not restricted to a specific topic, although they must include one or several models centered on the description and design of individuals and their interactions with their environment. At the same time, submitted papers are expected to present results pertaining to the utilization of individual-based models with respect to a clearly defined application in terms of simulations and their analysis. The domain of application of the model can be any problem related to ecological and/or evolutionary questions that are either practical (e.g., management of a specific population or environment) or theoretical (e.g., evolution and transmission of traits affecting behaviors and the dynamics of a system).

The deadline for manuscript submission is 15 March 2017 (but an extension can be granted, if necessary). For more details please visit the website: http://www.mdpi.com/journal/geosciences/special_issues/ecological_modeling
Since I am personally inviting you, your paper will be published free of charge if accepted after peer review. We hope you find this topic of interest and choose to publish your work in the Geosciences. If you could let us know within a week or so, it would greatly help the management of the Special Issue.

We would also appreciate if you could forward this to your team members and colleagues who may also be interested in the topic.
Thank you for your consideration and please contact us if you have any questions or suggestions.

Best regards,

Dr. Robin GRAS
Guest Editor of Special Issue "Individual-Based Ecological Modeling"
Professor, Canada Research Chair
School of Computer Science
Cross-appointed by the Biology Department
Cross-appointed by the Great Lakes Institute for Environmental Research
8111 LAM, University of Windsor
401 Sunset Avenue, Windsor, ON  N9B 3P4
Phone:  519.253.3000 ext. 2994
Fax: 519 973 7093, Email:rgras at uwindsor.ca