[Population Modeling] Invitation to Contribute to the Special Issue "Individual-Based Ecological Modeling"

Stefan Scholz stefan.scholz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Dec 15 03:05:30 PST 2016

Dear Jacob, dear all,

Thank you for your thoughts and all the links you provided. I think we are on the same page and have the same ideas about how scientific self-control should be done. And as I said, my intentions by sending the mail were nowhere near to denounce Robin or question his scientific integrity nor his capabilities as an editor! (@Robin: I hope there is no offence taken from your side and I apologise if I did offend you. I fancy your work and were very happy to meet you at last years SummerSim and found your comments on my work very helpful and constructive.)

I just know from my faculty collegues that many people are unaware of these issues and I think it will be beneficial to all of us to discuss them with an open mind. That’s why I said that I am undecided what to think about this particular publisher and wanted to hear about your opinions. The fact that the special issue will be free-of-charge for the authors seems to be a strong indicator for the journal being non-predatory (or rather by definition, contradicting being predatory). However, I just saw it as my obligation (in a non-patronizing way) to make people aware that there are discussions surrounding this publisher and that authors and editors can make a fully informed decision.

Thank you again and sorry if my post was off-topic!

Best,

Stefan