[Population Modeling] Discussing the Population Modeling panel in SummerSim

Jacob Barhak jacob.barhak at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 10:42:53 PST 2016

Hi Melanie, Hi Olaf, Hi Stefan, Hi Carl,

You all expressed interest in appearing in a population modeling panel in
SummerSim.

Melanie also suggested a topic:
"differences and extrapolation concerns around 'simulation vs. estimation’
in bio-medical area"

At this point, I wish interested parties to discuss the following:

1. The topic - feel free to suggest alternative topics/titles and we can
see how having the panel will contribute to the topic. Note that if we end
up with different topics, it is also ok since others may join to support
the topic you suggested. Hopefully there will be synergy, yet complementary
topics or even different opinions are possible. This discussion itself is
valuable.

2. Writing Format. The conference includes a paper. Part of the discussion
should be how do you prefer to be published. Do you want a joint paper? Or
would you like each to submit a short paper with similar topics? This would
probably be tied to the topic you suggest. Yet note that whatever paper
format chosen, it will undergo public non-blind review.

3. Presentation format: How would you like the talk to be? Possibilities
include: A) Totally informal discussion where panelists converge amongst
themselves, possibly with moderation and questions from he audience. B)
Presentations with a projector of each panelist and then a period of
questions. C) A combination of both, for example very short introductions
with a projector and then a discussion. Assume half an hour per panelist,
yet this may change.

As a default starting point for discussion, allow me to suggest the
following:

1. Topic Estimation in population modeling -  its generalization for what
Melanie suggested - feel free to reshape it any way comfortable to you.

2. Writing format: Very short separate papers using the topic as a title
prefix. to have a common prefix fro all panelists. Here is an
example: Estimation in population Modeling - application in Disease Models.

3. Presentation format: Short digital introductions of about 15 minutes
each - with only a few slides and a discussion that will start with
expanding prepared topics encountered during discussions and review and
then answering questions from the audience.

This default can be changed during discussion.

Please feel free to join this discussion if you are interested in appearing
in a population modeling panel in SummerSim - even if you are not
personally addressed. This post is initially directed to those who
expressed interest on this list, yet we can certainly expand the scope to
include more panelists, and I know of interest by others at this point.

I look forward to your opinions.

                 Jacob