[Population Modeling] Introduction

Robin Gras rgras at uwindsor.ca
Thu Mar 17 07:18:01 PDT 2016

Hello to everyone,

I am new in this mailing list so I prepared a short text to present myself.

"I work as an Associate Professor and Canada Research Chair in Learning and Simulation for Theoretical Biology at the School of Computer Science of the University of Windsor. I am also cross-appointed by the Biology Department and the Great Lakes Institute for Environmental Research at the University of Windsor. I was senior scientist, from 2000 to 2004, in the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics, Geneva Switzerland. I completed my Ph.D. in computer science applied to bioinformatics at INRIA of Rennes, France, in 1997, and obtained my Habilitation a Diriger la Recherche in 2004 in the University of Rennes.

I study the evolutionary process and the emergence of species in an artificial life simulated ecosystems. I have conceived an individual-based evolving predator-prey ecosystem simulation called EcoSim. The agents evaluate their environment  (e.g., distance to predator/prey, distance to potential breeding partner, distance to food, energy level), their internal states (e.g., fear, hunger, curiosity) and choose among several possible actions such as evasion, eating or breeding. The behavioral model of each individual is unique and is the outcome of the evolution process. One major and unique contribution of this simulation is that it combines a behavioral, an evolutionary and a speciation mechanism. This approach allows interesting studies on theoretical ecology and artificial life in collaboration with biologists. For example, it is used to study the species abundance distribution, patterns and rates of speciation, the evolution of sexual and asexual populations, the interaction and diffusion of an invasive species or a toxic chemicals in an existing ecosystem.

For more information: https://sites.google.com/site/ecosimgroup/home"<https://sites.google.com/site/ecosimgroup/home>
[https://sites.google.com/site/ecosimgroup/_/rsrc/1292625315396/home/overview-simulation.png?height=199&width=200]<https://sites.google.com/site/ecosimgroup/home>

Ecosim - Google Sites<https://sites.google.com/site/ecosimgroup/home>
sites.google.com
Presentation of my research projects. It includes several domains such as: artificial life, ecosystem simulation, ecosystem modeling, theoretical biology, predator ...

I am looking forward to know more about what you are working on.

Robin

Dr. Robin GRAS
Associate Professor, Canada Research Chair
School of Computer Science
Cross-appointed by the Biology Department
Cross-appointed by the Great Lakes Institute for Environmental Research
8111 LAM, University of Windsor
401 Sunset Avenue, Windsor, ON  N9B 3P4
Phone:  519.253.3000 ext. 2994
Fax: 519 973 7093, Email:rgras at uwindsor.ca