[Population Modeling] Any type of population modelers in your institutions you can point to?

Dan Yamin dan.yamin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 04:41:12 PDT 2017

*Population model *

My name is Dan Yamin, and I am the head of the Laboratory for Epidemic
Modeling and Analysis, in the faculty of engineering at Tel Aviv
University. Our primary focus in the lab is on healthcare - where we try to
predict the spread of infectious diseases, as well as analyze
population-level effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of potential
intervention programs. In a broader context, we also ask further questions
about topics that can be modeled in the same manner as the spread of
infectious diseases. These topics include cyber security and computer
viruses, viral marketing, information spread, and even behaviors with
social-contagion aspects such as imitation of facial expression, smoking
habits and risk to become obese.

Regardless of the topics, at core of our research lays the exploration of
the dynamic between individuals in the population. Thus, we use in our
research various complex system tools, such as Markov chains, statistics,
differential equations modeling, game theory and network science, in an
interdisciplinary way.  For example, to evaluate the population
effectiveness of an RSV vaccination program in the United States, we
developed age-dependent transmission model (Yamin et al. 2016 *PNAS*). Our
results demonstrated that vaccinating children younger than five years of
age, will be the most efficient and effective way to prevent RSV infection
in both children and older adults. In the same line, using theoretical
epidemiological game model (Yamin and Gavious 2013, Management Science) to
find the optimal incentive for influenza vaccination, our findings
suggested that for the benefit of the elderly greater incentives should be
administered to the non-elderly than targeting the elderly themselves. Using
network analyses (Yamin et al. 2014, *PLOS Computational Biology*) as well
as medical record examinations (Yamin et al. 2015, Vaccine), we showed that
individuals infected with influenza in previous year, were at an elevated
risk to become infected in subsequent years, and thus should be prioritized
for influenza vaccination. In light of these conclusions, the Israeli
Ministry of Health updated the policy this year, and ‘Clalit Health
Services’, the largest HMO in Israel applied various intervention programs
to promote vaccination among the targeted population. Another example is
the development of a population model for Ebola disease based on methods
from scheduling processes (Yamin et al. 2014, *Annals of Internal Medicine*).
Results from this research demonstrated that Ebola can be eliminated if the
World Health Organization will allocate the resources differently, by
focusing on the isolation of infected individuals in critical condition
within 4 days from symptom onset rather than isolating any case based on
hospital capacity.

Categorization of our work.

1.       Managing disease spread

2.       Epidemiology and public health