[Population Modeling] eVOLUTUS: the simulator of multiscale evolutionary processes tested on Foraminifera

Pawel Topa topa at agh.edu.pl
Fri Feb 10 01:48:55 PST 2017

Dear members of Population Modeling Working Group,

let me introduce our project named "eVOLUTUS: the simulator of
multiscale evolutionary processes tested on Foraminifera":

Our goal is to design a new algorithmic framework for testing and
simulating evolutionary principles and their consequences in defined
environments at various spatiotemporal scales. Due to biological
complexity of organisms and their interactions with the environment, it
has never been attempted to design such a numerical framework for the
simulation of evolutionary patterns derived from the fossil record of
real organisms. As a model organism we will implement Foraminifera,
single-celled eukaryotes that occupy marine benthic and pelagic zones
throughout the world andhave an extraordinary fossil record throughout
the Phanerozoic. This makes them an ideal model often used for testing
general evolutionary hypotheses.  Recent studies have shown that shell
architecture and most prominent morphogenetic trends in shell
development distinctly follow molecular phylogenetic patterns.

We use approach named Individual Based Modelling in which modeler tries
to present population of living organisms as being composed of discrete
individual organisms. The model that uses IBM in natural way can be
implemented using Agent-based Modeling computational paradigm. In order
to model evolutionary processes we use the well known genetic operators:
mutation and crossing over which are applied to the virtual genome
consisted of parameters that govern agent (foraminifers) behavior.
Selection is simply made by adaptation to environmental conditions in
virtual habitat.