[Population Modeling] SPECTS 2017 Call for Papers

kater at sim.uni-hannover.de kater at sim.uni-hannover.de
Wed Jan 25 01:53:57 PST 2017

Dear Sir or Madam,
the International Symposium on Performance Evaluation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems is a scientific forum for professionals and scientists involved in performance evaluation of computer and telecommunication systems. Performance evaluation of computer systems and networks has progressed rapidly in the past decade and has begun to approach maturity. Significant progress has been made in analytic modeling, simulation, and measurement approaches for performance evaluation of computer and telecommunication systems.

We would be very pleased if you or one of your colleagues contribute to this conference.

=== Important Links and Deadlines ===
Call for Papers: http://atc.udg.edu/SPECTS2017/spects2017_cfp_20160921.pdf

Dates for Papers
Invited session, workshop, tutorial proposals: February 20, 2017
Paper submission: February 20, 2017
Author notification: May 1, 2017
Camera-ready paper submission: May 14, 2017

Please note that additional to the information on the SPECTS 2017 web page we can offer to contributors to SPECTS the publication of SPECTS papers  in the digital Library of the ACM ( the information on the Multiconference SummerSim2017 web page). http://scs.org/summersim/
We are also awaiting for the approval of technical co-sposorship from IEEE Computer and IEEE Communication  comming soon, what will give us ( as in the past) the publication of papers in Xplore.

=== Keynote ===
Dynamic Speed Scaling: Theory, Practice, and the Role of Simulation

This talk provides multiple different perspectives on dynamic CPU speed scaling systems. Such systems have the ability to auto-scale their service capacity based on demand, which introduces many interesting tradeoffs between response time, fairness, and energy efficiency.
The talk begins by highlighting key results and observations from prior speed scaling research, which straddles both the theory and systems literature. A recurring theme in the talk is the dichotomy between the assumptions, approaches, and results in these two different research communities, and the role that simulation can play in bridging between them.
The main part of the talk shares several insights from our own work on speed scaling designs, including coupled and decoupled speed-scaling systems. This work includes analytical and simulation modeling, as well as empirical system measurements on a modern Intel i7 processor, which we have used for calibration and validation of our speed scaling simulator. These models are then used to study auto-scaling effects in speed scaling systems, using discrete-event simulation.

About the Speaker:
Carey Williamson is a Professor in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Calgary. His educational background includes a BSc Honours degree in Computer Science from the University of Saskatchewan in 1985, and a PhD in Computer Science from Stanford University in 1991.
Dr. Williamson's research interests include Internet protocols, wireless networks, network traffic measurement, workload characterization, network simulation, and Web server performance. He is a member of ACM, SIGMETRICS, and IFIP Working Group 7.3. He served as SIG Chair for ACM SIGMETRICS from 2007- 2011, and as conference chair for ACM SIGMETRICS 2005, WWW 2007, and ACM IMC 2014. He is also a founding co-Editor-in-Chief of the new ACM Transactions on Modeling and Performance Evaluation of Computing Systems.

For more information visit: http://atc.udg.edu/SPECTS2017/

With kind regards
Christian Kater
(Publicity Chair SPECTS 2017)