[Population Modeling] introduction

Resit Akcakaya resit.akcakaya at stonybrook.edu
Thu Mar 9 03:55:54 PST 2017

I would like to introduce the population modeling work of my research
group <http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/ee/akcakayalab/>.

We use population models with dynamic spatial structure to study the
effects of climate and landscape changes on species.The novelty of our
approach is that it links climate change models, ecological niche
(species distribution or habitat suitability) models, and demographic
models to predict the extinction risk of species under global
change.The development of this coupled niche-population modeling
approach was based on our previous work on metapopulation models with
dynamic spatial structure [1], which were applied to simulate the
effects of landscape changes resulting from timber harvest [2] and
fires [3]. The first applications of this modeling approach to climate
change were developed in a series of workshops in 2007-2009 [4-5].
Later applications focused on incorporating predator-prey interactions
and disease dynamics; these applications analyzed the effectiveness of
conservation measures for the world's most endangered cat, which is
impacted by climate change [6], and for one of the most threatened
North American mammals, which is impacted by plague [7]. These studies
demonstrated that spatially structured prey-predator models allow
realistic conservation planning that takes into account emerging
threats such as climate change and infectious diseases.

One of the goals of these projects has been to contribute to the
development of Red List Guidelines [8] for identifying species
threatened by climate change. To test the effectiveness of the Red
List criteria as an early-warning system for climate change-related
extinctions, we adapted the coupled niche-population modeling approach
to simulate generic life-history types instead of particular
species.The resulting analysis found that climate change causes high,
but predictable, extinction risks [9], and that the Red List system
would provide several decades of warning time for species that might
go extinct because of climate change [10]. In a related study, we
combined the coupled niche-demographic models with recent advances in
geochronological dating, palaeoclimate reconstructions and molecular
techniques for retrospective modeling [11]. Our preliminary results
suggest that such long-term retrospective analyses will improve
efforts to predict the likely effects of future climate and other
environmental change on biodiversity, and target conservation
management resources most effectively.

*Research areas:* Species conservation; risk assessment; climate change*
*

*Methods keywords:* Coupled niche-demographic models; Matrix
population models; Metapopulation models with dynamic spatial structure