[Population Modeling] work on modeling social mixing patterns

Marco Ajelli ajelli at fbk.eu
Tue Mar 28 09:33:05 PDT 2017

<popmodwkgrpimag-news at simtk.org>Dear modeling working group,

below my contribution where I present our work "Fumanelli, et al, (2012)
Inferring the Structure of Social Contacts from Demographic Data in the
Analysis of Infectious Diseases Spread. PLoS Comput Biol 8(9): e1002673".

Best,
Marco

*Author and affiliations:* Marco Ajelli, Laboratory for the Modeling of
Biological and Socio-technical Systems, Northeastern University, Boston,
MA, USA & Bruno Kessler Foundation, Trento, Italy

*Research area*: Epidemiology and public health

*Keywords*: Agent based model

*Summary*

Social contacts are essential for the spread of human-to-human
transmissible infectious diseases. As such, they are a key element of
mathematical/computational models of infectious diseases transmission as
well (1). In the last decade lot of attention has been posed to quantify
social mixing patterns – age mixing patterns in particular – and a variety
of approaches has been used. Among them, diary-based surveys (2–4), use of
wearable sensors (5,6), analysis of time-use data (7,8), and the
development of synthetic populations of agents (8).

In the latter category falls our work (9), where we estimated age-mixing
patterns in 26 European countries through the simulation of a synthetic
population of agents mimicking real-world contacts between individuals. To
build the synthetic populations we relies on publicly available census and
survey data on the main socio-demographic characteristics of each country
(e.g., household size, age distribution by household size, schooling and
employment rates by age). The resulting contact matrices describing the
average frequency of “adequate” contacts that an individual of age *i* has
with individuals aged *j* is derived by analysis of the contact network of
the agents of the simulated population. The inferred contact matrices are
validated by a detailed comparison with the matrices obtained in six
European countries by the most extensive diary-based study on mixing
patterns (2) and against epidemiological influenza data (10).

Our methodology allows a large-scale comparison of mixing patterns in
Europe, highlighting general common features as well as country-specific
differences. We find clear relations between epidemiologically relevant
quantities (such as reproduction number and epidemic size) and
socio-demographic characteristics of the populations (e.g., average age of
the population). In this study we provide a numerical approach for the
generation of human mixing patterns, which is straightforward to apply to
other countries as it is entirely based on routinely collected
socio-demographic statistics. Our approach could be instrumental for
improving model accuracy, especially in the absence of specific empirical
data on human mixing patterns.