[Simbiome-feedback] RE: Simbiome Resource Inventory - Beta Review

Michael Levitt michael.levitt at stanford.edu
Tue May 2 08:11:38 PDT 2006

Dear Jon,

   The interface is clean and the information is well-presented.
I could see nothing to be removed .  As for adding, this is a
slow process that we need to think about more.  It also will
likely make the resource deeper is certain narrow areas.
Do you have  a format for suggesting additional areas?

   Actually, I would add a link to ProShape, Patrice Koehl's
exceptionally fast and robust software for protein geometry.
(see: http://nook.cs.ucdavis.edu:8080/~koehl/research.html).
I am sure this is much better than Surfnet.

   Also, Axel Brunger is now at Stanford so it X-PLOR still at Yale.
There is a better package based on explore but in the public
domain (I think) managed by Marius Clore at NIH.

   Another useful link is EBI MSD (Molecular Structure Database)
which has better biological units in PQS.  A link to netlib, the database
of legacy software with some amazing numerical routines is also
good.

    Michael

PS:  Perhaps set up a mailing list of your beta testers so that each
of our emails go to all the others.  That way, our memories will be
collectively jogged to add new resources.  To this end, I am copying my
email
to Sherm, Vijay and Russ.