[Vp-integration-subgroup] Licensing issues

Jacob Barhak jacob.barhak at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 12:37:37 PST 2021

Hi Robin, and anyone else who wants to comment,

When integrating your model, you may recall I asked for permissions to use
it and mentioned licensing issues.

One of your responses was that you have to check with your institution
regarding commercial use while you yourself were ok with me reusing your
model and had no restrictions.

I wish to explore the licensing issue in this mailing list to show what are
approaches of different institutions and individuals to the problem.

Is it possible for you to check about the policy in your institution? The
idea is to show some examples of how institutions approach the issue. For
example, do they delegate the decision to researchers? Do they have a
policy about who holds the copyright? How do they treat commercial entities?

I know in the US, a faculty member in most cases retains rights for their
work, this does not always extend to staff and I am not sure
about students. I also know that some academic institutions support tech
transfer through patents and other endeavours.

I was trying to discuss licenses here:
https://forum.comses.net/t/issues-with-regard-to-call-for-transparency-of-covid-19-models/8433

Yet this discussion was not concluded.

One notable approach that Sheriff made me aware of is taken by BioModels:
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/biomodels/faq
They avoid the licensing issues by making all models available under CC0

I am showing here some aspects of the issue and asking for you to
check with your institution to explore all aspects of this issue so we can
properly report those in the white paper.

           Jacob