[Vp-integration-subgroup] White paper revision

John Gennari gennari at uw.edu
Sun May 23 23:13:58 PDT 2021

All:

We've all now had a week to work on (or at least think about) the paper
and the emails that have been sent around. As I listed on Monday, we're
suggesting a re-ordering of the 12 (or 13?) challenges, and for each
challenge, we are trying to assign a point person. That person doesn't
need to be solely responsible for the content in the subsection (other
authors can certainly chime in), but the point person(s) can act as a
gatekeeper for consistency, length considerations, inclusion of ideas, etc.

The challenge (as usual) is to actually get some writing done. (Of
course, I'm just as guilty as others, having done not much of this either.)

Over the last week, I saw some nice contributions by Alexander Kulesza
(thank you!), so I've added his name to the author list. Otherwise, all
I saw was some editing and some additions by Hana D and a few thoughts
by James G.

I also wanted to highlight that we have one section (the 12th
challenge,  on model applications and real-world use) without a point
person.

I did go ahead and re-order the sections in the order listed in my email
of May 17. This means that I also re-ordered (and numbered) the rows in
Table 1. Because there were comments attached to some of these table
rows, I also left the old table in the document. Obviously, we'll delete
this table once folk are satisfied that their ideas have been
incorporated or at least discussed by the group.

Similarly, there are now two copies of the 12 sections -- once in the
new order and with numbers, and then again in the old order.

In the new ordering, I've listed the point person (or persons) at the
beginning, and I also have a few notes about the sections. Since there
are a couple of sections that I am the point person for, these will be
my "homework". I did want to highlight that section 3.8 (on model
validity and credibility) needs to be significantly reduced. One way to
do this might be to move some of this content earlier, into the
introduction, or perhaps into "reproducibility crisis" section.

Hoping this email inspires some folk to do some writing. I'll keep
plugging away at "my" sections. The document is in the same location:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VvyP3YZQdQYjj8DFKOpQ4pn_0pdDGgiT/edit?ts=60a294c2

-John G.