[Vp-integration-subgroup] "Models are not consistently licensed"

Jacob Barhak jacob.barhak at gmail.com
Tue May 25 05:39:02 PDT 2021

Ok William,

You really want to go into details, so let us do so. - and I will try to be
brief, because it is an endless topic and I can really go on for a long
time. Although brief is relative.

You write that:
"The claim that we can’t make software out of pieces with different
licenses is demonstrably false."
This is not entirely false, you can indeed combine different pieces in some
conditions, yet your code can become so messy and problematic to transport
that many times you may be better not reusing some piece of code. And in
any case, you have multiple restrictions and many times cannot distribute
the code together.

And abandoned code is really a problem, this is why public domain licenses
started appearing in the last decade and copyleft licenses are not used as
much as they used to - open source was pretty good idea at a time a lot of
code was proprietary, yet the problems of copyleft and code that needed
relicensing started appearing and there was a need for a new solution. It
took about a generation for public domain licenses to appear - and we are
just starting to experience it.

You write:
"The claim that we can’t use software abandoned by the original authors is
also false."
The issue is that you are confined to a specific license that may not be
compatible with what you want to achieve and if you integrate a library
into your code and build upon it for a long time, this becomes a
technological debt you have to carry. The problem becomes much harsher when
you try to do something that interfaces with the commercial world that
imposes requirements on licenses - if you have abandoned code you
integrated - you may be stuck since you cannot change the license. This is
also true if code was not abandoned and just has many collaborators - you
need to trace them all and ask them all to agree to a different license -
the more contributors you have , the more problematic it is - this
eventually can make some code practically unusable in some circumstances.
And in situations like this COVID pandemic where you need to act fast to
achieve results and some licensing problem appears - believe me, it is not
an easy situation when there is time pressure. If you use a public domain
license - all this disappears and you can innovate quickly. Also a lot of
the bureaucracy disappears - making life so much easier.

As for patents, those exist and will be used by commercial and scientific
entities alike - Many university faculty members hold patents - and
Universities sometimes have departments that support and encourage the
creation of patents - so those will exist as long as law supports it. In
fact, if you look at NIH policy, you will find out that it allows patents
and assigns intellectual property rights arising from grants to the
awardees. There were several attempts at making research products free and
accessible by the public in the US, yet those did not catch on so far. I
can write about those in a different email - yet I am trying to stay on
point here. So like it or not, people will restrict what you can do. And
even an open source license does not protect you from an orthogonal legal
restriction. However, licenses like CC0 at least inform you about it and
remove at least one restriction - which is more than many other licenses
do.

And as for attribution - nothing says you cannot attribute the work when
using CC0 - in fact CC0 mentions the entity releasing the code to the
public - it is just that you are not demanded to do so. You can always give
credit - you are just not required - so scientific practice is not
disrupted by "public domain" licenses - it is just made easier. Also, you
can release the same work under multiple licenses - one that demands
attribution and one that waives copyright restrictions and let the user
choose which one they wish to propagate. So if you think about it, once you
can release it to the public domain, any other license is just a
restriction on the party trying to reuse your work regardless of how
liberal you think the license is.

And you mention BSD/MIT licenses - remember, those are still forms of
protection of intellectual property - copyright based. Regardless of how
liberal you describe them to be, you are still tied to the original
contributors if you need anything changed in the license due to some
incompatibility which leads us back to the original issue of license
compatibility.

Also, when a license is copyright based it depends on who the registered
owner is and as you may have seen in our discussion on this mailing list,
different institutions have different policies on ownership. So it becomes
messy again - there is really no uniformity - it is all situational and
based on interests of the owners.

And you mention OSI - it is only one organization that catalogues open
source licenses. There are also Creative Commons,  Free Software
Foundation,  and the Open Knowledge Foundation. And they have different
perspectives and I must add that OSI is behind in adopting the new
generation of public domain licenses, so perhaps it is better to choose
another entity like Creative Commons for licenses. In fact, we both know of
one COVID modeling platform that is released now under Creative Commons
license rather than the traditional licenses.

I agree with you that releasing a model/code without a license is
problematic - it is actually a strong copyright restriction that equals
"all rights reserved". So this is highly non recommended unless you really
want to restrict.

The reason this discussion is taking place is because we have a section
about it in the paper and we do mention public domain licenses.

In fact Biomodels, the repository where many biological models are stored,
made the correct choice of license and stores models under CC0 - this means
that those models can be reused much easier.

I don't know what led to this decision by BioModels - perhaps Sheriff can
tell us the story, yet I believe their decision was smart and correct.
There are currently over 1,000 curated models in that repository and
hopefully this number will grow quickly so we will have a large public
repository that allows model reuse with an easy to use license interface.

Think about it long term, if you really want modeling technologies to be
widely adopted, you need to make them very accessible and if you want to
integrate them, you want to remove as much bureaucracy as possible. Think
about a future where hundreds of those models will have to be automatically
merged together in ensembles by machine in attempts to explain observed
biological phenomena. We are still far from that point, yet if we resolve
the problems we listed in the paper we wrote together we will be closer to
such a future solution. And fortunately BioModels resolved our need to
worry about license compatibility issues.

I thank you for taking the time to look at my video and the discussion, and
I hope that this response explains well the need to remove licensing
restrictions from integrating models.

            Jacob