[Vp-integration-subgroup] Some key points to remember Re: [Vp-reproduce-subgroup] Update: Draft Guidance: Assessing Credibility of Computational Modeling and Simulation

John Rice john.rice at noboxes.org
Sun Jan 30 10:28:15 PST 2022

1. This draft as did the current Guidelines came from the medical device side of FDA.

2. Although this is a U.S. FDA draft, the FDA and European Commission are working very closely together and will probably have very similar guidelines for model credibility on the medical DEVICE regulation processes.

3. Both FDA and EC are also working on the Pharmacology side. But it has very different issues.

     A. Note the parenthetical remark in the introduction to this draft regarding its applicability to PHYSICS BASED and more specifically FIRST PRINCIPLES based physics models, and specifically not data based models.   However, within a couple paragraphs of that delimiter, they talk about the use of the device model with human models to asses how the device effects the human.   ????

Our life science MSM / Mechanistic models, as far as I know, lack life science “First Principles”.   Not at all a new discussions in our community and something frequently heard from life science modelers in a context of bio modeling being way more complex then physics modeling.  Point here is how to address credibility of a first principle physics model of a device/material that gets used to see how it works in or effects a model of a, much less many different  humans.

   B.  Are there things that can be done now to significantly improve confidence in life science models?  It’s the question that crosses “state of the art” for testing insilco devices in insilco humans and the future of insilco testing or even study of effects of pharma products.

As usual I have lots of questions but few suggested solutions.

John