[Vp-reproduce-subgroup] [Vp-integration-subgroup] Paper review and revision check list

sheriff sheriff at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Dec 30 12:28:17 PST 2021

Hi Jacob,

One crude idea for the graphics could be a cartoon of hurdling, where
each hurdle corresponds to the one we listed in the table or the dozen
challenges version. Under each, we could add a sentence about it and
this could be a summary figure.

Probably there are better ideas.

Best

Sheriff

On 2021-12-30 20:18, Jacob Barhak wrote:

> Thanks Sheriff,
>
> You comments would be more helpful within a different thread
> https://lists.simtk.org/pipermail/vp-integration-subgroup/2021-December/000324.html
>
> I will copy your text there for continuity. I assumed many are on
> vacation, yet I was trying to buy time in hope some of us are active.
>
> As for a rewrite. We have gone this road before. No one in the group
> had a solution on how to preserve all the ideas we discussed and
> represent all contributions. We lost precious time going in that route.
>
> If anyone knows how to solve it, please suggest, yet know that this may
> be lost effort that may only delay things.
>
> My opinion is that the reviewers will have to weigh the importance of
> our summary table compared to any other aspect. If they decide against
> it, there is always another venue. The price is delay.
>
> And Sheriff, frankly, if a publisher will not publish while preserving
> all ideas, then what value is being served in publishing?
>
> If a reviewer does not like a particular idea, they should argue
> against it and we will respond, yet a "general rewrite" argument is not
> sufficient. A good editor should spot it and act accordingly.
>
> The paper is readable, and has a clear summary for those who need it .
> Any argument against this "not being good enough" requires proof by
> example - if none can produce this example, then the argument should be
> shelved.
>
> For now, I ask that others attempt to join this discussion and attempt
> to fix the issues we still need attention for.
>
> Specifically, if anyone has an idea on more graphics, please suggest a
> figure. Sheriff, you created our first figure, if you have ideas for
> another figure, please help here. Otherwise we have some solutions for
> the review that we can debate.
>
> Thanks for answering during the holiday season and a happy new year.
>
> Jacob
>
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2021, 08:42 sheriff <sheriff at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi Jacob,
>
> Thanks for leading the discussion.
>
> You may have to wait until early Jan for everyone to get back from the
> holidays and respond.
>
> Also, I think, it may not be possible to get away without improving the
> flow and readability of the manuscript.
>
> Here are my comments on model sharing and license
>
> Indeed often models are hard to locate. Hence in our reproducibility
> study ( Tiwari et al. 2021, https://doi.org/10.15252/msb.20209982), we
> strongly recommend authors to make their models public, but more
> specifically through public repositories such as BioModels
> (https://www.ebi.ac.uk/biomodels). We recommend authors to submit model
> codes, parameter sets, and simulation conditions needed to reproduce
> simulation studies.
>
> BioModels provides model curation and annotation service, where the
> models' reproducibility is assessed and annotated with controlled
> [...]

  Pls

Links:
------
[1] http://www.novadiscovery.com/