[Feature-dev] Re: Status 06/13/09

Mike Wong mikewong at sfsu.edu
Sun Jun 14 21:45:54 PDT 2009

Hi Gurgen,

Sounds like you've made significant progress on this assignment. Great job!

If you can, let's plan on meeting sometime this Tues, Wed, or Thurs so I can go over some of the large architectural changes we need to make. Some topics that immediately come to mind:

1. Remove the unnecessary Object hierarchy and instead force all objects to use STL containers
2. Work on eliminating HashTable and related hash classes (replace them with STL map, multimap, or set); this is will remove that collision-prone hash function that you noticed
3. Redesign the Property subsystem to use a map (keyed on the property name) instead of an enumeration

Each of these topics will take several weeks of focused work to complete; you and I can each take one topic and when you return in the Fall, touch bases again (or via e-mail). Please use the mailing list so we can document our conversations.

Best regards,

- m.

Mike Wong, Staff Research Associate
Center for Computing for Life Sciences (CCLS)
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue, Hensill Hall 301, SF, CA 94132
(415) 405-2119
mikewong at sfsu.edu