[Feature-dev] Test error

Mike Wong mikewong at sfsu.edu
Thu Jun 18 12:51:31 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I've recently discovered that a hole in our test coverage has been glossing over a particularly bad problem; we may be generating faulty models.

Therefore, I'm tasking myself and Mauricio to become Grade-A Test Engineers. Anyone who's interested in this unglamorous, but unbelievably important, process, please contact me. This is especially important for those who are thinking of a career in industry.

Software Quality Assurance texts spend huge amounts of time explaining how to design tests so that they don't fail. There's very little discussion on tests that have poor coverage, or simply faulty tests, and what to do when you find yourself in those situations. This is where practice diverges from theory, and one of the areas where experience matters most. There is significant hands-on learning that will happen here, something that can potentially help you nail an interview and land a job or a performance review and score a promotion.

Developers can continue to develop, but sometime in the near future we will need a temporary code freeze to implement the bug patches.

Best regards,

- m.

Mike Wong, Staff Research Associate
Center for Computing for Life Sciences (CCLS)
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue, Hensill Hall 301, SF, CA 94132
(415) 405-2119
mikewong at sfsu.edu