[Feature-users] Re: Evan MAsutani IRTA update

Evan Masutani evmasuta at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 10:36:29 PDT 2014

Dear Michael and simtk.org,

Thank you very much for your reply!  I currently have feature-3.1.0 running
and it's great!  Installing it, however, had a few kinks that I thought
might be worth asking about.  As a bit of background, I am a bioengineer by
training and am not all that familiar with Macs (my work computer is a Mac
running OS X 10.9.5) and am a mediocre programmer at best, so my apologies
if I say something dumb.  For ease of reading, I have put the issues I
encountered into a list below:
1) The dssp link in the manual is broken.  After the fact, I might've seen
the dssp program in the feature folder but was not sure.  What I ended up
doing was downloading dssp-2.2.1
2) The Mac I am working on did not have Boost installed and it was
necessary to run dssp-2.2.1; using Macports resulted in some downstream
errors, but using Homebrew worked well.
3) There were some other peculiarities with dssp-2.2.1 but I realize that
this is outside the scope of FEATURE, but will be happy to give more input
if you would like.
4) For whatever reason, only standard FEATURE could install on my Mac and
it might be because I am running clang?  I am not sure, but it works fine
otherwise.
5) make install feature does not add the examples folder to the directory;
only README, bin, data, and tools are there
6) After fiddling around I (if I remember correctly, but not really
relevant) managed to try the serine protease example by changing
directories to a separate feature-3.1.0 folder on my desktop.  When I
looked at the output, however, they differed from the output given.  For
one, curiously, FEATURE only returned the top 2 scoring hits and I double
checked the command in the terminal.  When I opened the .hits.sorted file,
there were the same number of entries as with the example output.  Even
more curiously, however, the output values themselves did not match.  I
have pasted the outputs below:
Manual Output (omitted other 3 entries):
Env_1bqy_31 149.060025 35.096 9.444 145.234 # SER195:B at OG
Env_1bqy_14 176.033218 19.642 39.631 59.232 # SER195:A at OG
My Output:
Env_1bqy_31 144.728524 35.096 9.444 145.234 # SER195:B at OG
Env_1bqy_14 154.566672 19.642 39.631 59.232 # SER195:A at OG

To the best of my knowledge, I followed the directions properly, so this
result is puzzling.  I was wondering if it had to do with the fact that I
am using a different version of dssp?

Thank you very much for your time!  I really appreciate it and apologize
for any ignorant comments.  Have a great weekend!

Sincerely,
Evan Masutani