[Feature-users] Re: Evan MAsutani IRTA update

Evan Masutani evmasuta at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 12:54:55 PDT 2014

Hi Michael,

Since dssp-2.2.1 looks like it might be an issue, there were a couple of
other tricky things I had to do to get it to work.  First, per the README,
you need to manually enter ~/dssp-2.2.1/src and modify mkdssp.cpp and
replace all instances of "Version" (I can't remember if it was all caps) to
"2.2.1" otherwise it won't work.  I am a complete newbie with C++/C so I
had no idea how to get the thing to work, but fortunately: (
http://macosxpostdoc.blogspot.com/2012/09/two-for-price-of-one-mac-os-x-without.html)
supplied me with the command:

*c++ -O3 -o dssp -I/sw/include -L/sw/lib  -Wall
-Wno-multichar  -lboost_thread-mt -lboost_regex-mt  -lboost_filesystem-mt
-lboost_program_options-mt  -lboost_date_time-mt -lboost_iostreams-mt
-lboost_system-mt *.cpp *
It gave me some warning about an unused variable kSSBridgeDIstance and not
finding a directory for -L/sw/lib.  Other than that, it seemed to work
fine, but was oddly clunky to use.  Perhaps as a result of the above error,
I could not convert .pdb files to .dssp files unless the .pdb file was in
~/dssp-2.2.1/src (and needed to include said directory in terminal when
giving the conversion command).  I feel like this is just an error on my
part and isn't a big deal for me.  Thank you very much for your reply and
please let me know if you have any questions!

Sincerely,
Evan Masutani