[Population Modeling] Re: Can you write about your agent based modeling

Atesmachew B Hailegiorgis ahailegi at gmu.edu
Sat Dec 13 07:22:00 PST 2014

Hi all,

I talked about cholera model that I did  with Andrew last time.  it is published now and I think it is better to share the abstract. There is a link to the paper and a movie also.  Let me know if you have any suggestion or question.

Crooks, A.T. and Hailegiorgis, A.B. (2014). An Agent-based Modeling Approach Applied to the Spread of Cholera. Environmental Modeling and Software. Environmental Modelling and Software 62: 164-177

Abstract: Cholera is an intestinal disease and is characterized by diarrhea and severe dehydration. While cholera has mainly been eliminated in regions that can provide clean water, adequate hygiene and proper sanitation; it remains a constant threat in many parts of Africa and Asia. Within this paper, we develop an agent-based model that explores the spread of cholera in the Dadaab refugee camp in Kenya. Poor sanitation and housing conditions contribute to frequent incidents of cholera outbreaks within this camp. We model the spread of cholera by explicitly representing the interaction between humans and their environment, and the spread of the epidemic using a Susceptible-Exposed-Infected-Recovered model. Results from the model show that the spread of cholera grows radially from contaminated water sources and seasonal rains can cause the emergence of cholera outbreaks. This modeling effort highlights the potential of agent-based modeling to explore the spread of cholera in a humanitarian context.

Link to the paper: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1364815214002515
Link to movie: http://css.gmu.edu/cholera/Cholera/Home.html

Ates