[Population Modeling] Soliciting contributions for a population modeling paper

Jacob Barhak jacob.barhak at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 14:46:44 PST 2015

Hi Olaf,

You attached your blurb as a document rather than as text,  so it does not
show in the archives well. It is a binary file not easily accesible through
a mobile device.

In the future, please avoid sending attachments to the list. Better send
links if necessary.

I decided to resubmit the text again,  so people will have access to the
text even if they don't receive it as an email.

I hope people can read this now.

          Jacob

######### Olaf's text ########

The Tufts Population Modeling group is interested in occurrence patterns of
developmental disabilities and their risk factors [1]. We take a bottom-up
approach in transition-likelihood simulations of birth cohorts. The idea is
to simulate disease occurrence in virtual populations that can be compared
to published data. We have come to call this approach “systems
epidemiology”[2], which involves observation in populations and population
modeling, in order to complement systems biology, which involves biological
experimentation and computational modeling of individual entities. Our
current project is centered around the question: What respective roles do
oxygen exposure and neonatal infection play in the etiology of retinopathy
of prematurity [3]?

1. Dammann, O. and P. Follett, Toward multi-scale computational modeling in
developmental disability research. Neuropediatrics, 2011. 42(3): p. 90-6.

2. Dammann, O., et al., Systems Epidemiology: What's in a Name? Online
Journal of Public Health Informatics, 2014. 6(3).

3. Hellstrom, A., L.E. Smith, and O. Dammann, Retinopathy of
prematurity. Lancet, 2013. 382(9902): p. 1445-57.

Olaf Dammann (Tufts Public Health)

Benjamin Hescott (Tufts Computer Science)