[Population Modeling] Population modeling definition

Al Chrosny achrosny at treeage.com
Wed Jan 7 13:54:16 PST 2015

Jacob,

I agree that Markov models are most often used for modeling a homogenous
cohort of entities.

However, it is quite straightforward to introduce heterogeneity to a
Markov model.  One simple way is to do this is to perform a series of
individual entity simulations.  Each entity can have different
characteristics as it enters the Markov model.  The results for all
entities are then aggregated to present a heterogeneous cohort results.

So different flavors of Markov modelling can included within the
proposed definition:
"Modeling a collection of entities with different levels of heterogeneity"

Al

--
Wojciech (Al) Chrosny, Ph.D.
Director Software Engineering