[Population Modeling] Population modeling definition

Stefan Scholz stefan.scholz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Jan 7 13:58:08 PST 2015

Hello all,

I think the definition hits the broad subject really well. Maybe I am
seeing too much through the eyes of a health economist, but I would draw
the line of population models right after (cohort) markov models. In my
opinion mostly all of those cohort models ignore patient heterogeneity
and focus more on the disease rather than the population. On the other
hand I would say that "Individual Sampling Models" and DES as presented
by Al Chrosny and Jon Karnon do incorporate patient heterogeneity and
should be presented by the term "population model". So maybe we can draw
the line between cohort and individual Markov models.

Best regards,
Stefan