[Population Modeling] Population modeling definition

Jacob Barhak jacob.barhak at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 02:07:08 PST 2015

Hi Talitha, Hi John, Hi Olaf, Hi Steve, Hi Stephan, Hi Al, and greeting to
all others who have not participated yet.

You have contributed thoughts to this discussion. I would like to point to
two issues I see and add a third issue to the discussion

1. Dictionary like definition:
John and Olaf are trying to define the term like a dictionary. In this
perspective, I myself would interpret population as: "A collection of X"
where X can change as Madhav suggested before. It is probably a noun
describing plurality of X.

2. Definition by Models included:
However, perhaps a more interesting discussion is what kind of models fall
into our category. I recall Al and Steve trying to include Markov models,
while Talitha and previously Stephan are excluding Markov Cohort models
from falling within our definition of population modeling. This is to the
best of my understating and I am surprised that Talitha suggested a strict
definition since she some of her work is Markov model based.

What would you all feel about including Markov models within population
modeling only if they stratify the cohort by age, gender, and/or other
parameters. And non stratified models will define these as cohort models
outside population modeling?

3. Modeling of individual uncertainty
This is another question. Would we consider description of uncertainty of
parameters in an individual within our population modeling group? For
example, does defining distribution of height of a person by mean,
variance, and distribution function fall into our category? After all we
are modeling a single entity from information derived from a population. I
would say yes, especially if the information is extracted from a population
that we can name. But what about correlation between anthropometric
features such as defining the mean ratio between height and arm length as
one number? Will one number be sufficient  to call it population modeling
or do we need a distribution? I would say if the number is associated to a
population cohort then perhaps, and defiantly yes if we have several
numbers associated with different population cohorts.

I am interested to learn more what others think of those questions. I hope
others will join this discussion.

               Jacob