[Population Modeling] PopModWkGrpIMAG-news Digest, Vol 3, Issue 17

Hunt, C. Anthony a.hunt at ucsf.edu
Sun Jan 18 12:13:51 PST 2015

I offer some musings regarding defining population modeling (PM).
Population modeling is an activity.  For members of this group it is a
process with a purpose.  Identifying this group's PM process purposes will
help to define what PM means to us.

Given those purposes, the processes employed by members of this group are
drawn from a relatively specialized set of methods.  Identifying the
group's method's will further define what PM means to us.

Given those two constraints, I think that Merriam-Webster Unabridged
definitions of population are adequate (for our needs):

1 a :  the whole number of people or inhabitants occupying a specific
geographical locality (as an institution, a country, a world)
	[I might replace "people or inhabitants" with entities]
1 b :  the total number or amount of things especially within a given area

2 :  the act or process of populating
	[may apply only rarely]

3 a :  a body of persons having some quality or characteristic in common
and usually thought of as occupying a particular area
	[I might replace "persons" with entities, and (this is minor) "area" with
space]
3 b (1) :  the organisms inhabiting a particular area or biotope
3 b (2) :  a group of interbreeding biotypes that represents the level of
organization at which speciation begins

4 mathematics :  a group of individual persons, objects, or items from
which samples are taken for measurement statistically

-T-