[Population Modeling] Introduction

Talitha Feenstra talitha.feenstra at rivm.nl
Fri Oct 9 01:52:31 PDT 2015

Dear all,

Regarding parameter estimation: the highly interesting books on statistical learning by Hastie and Thibshirani. http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~gareth/ISL/ and http://statweb.stanford.edu/~tibs/ElemStatLearn/ (especially the first one I enjoyed). The notion I got from these is that with all methods whether parametric or nonparametric you have to keep an eye on the trade-off between variability (or dependence on this specific set of data/external validity) and model fit/bias. (check the books for the correct terminology and very clear explanation). The more complex your model, the better it may fit the specific data, but it may still do lousy outside these specific data. Also with the nonparametric methods you usually have some tuning parameter to steer this model complexity. So it is a matter of internal and external validity.

Another issue I would like to hear others about is that in most of my models we are extrapolating one way or the other. E.g. we do have disease data with limited follow-up time and extrapolate prognosis beyond that period. I do not see how to do this, without making assumptions on the functional form, i.e. using some parametric modeling. But would like to hear from others.

Mostly for the transitions we use individual level data (quite often cohorts, but also GP registry data, with much less certainty on the population (people move) and hence more assumptions needed). For effects of treatments quite often we do use literature/published estimates at aggregate level. I think assumptions are all over, both in the conceptual model, but also when analyzing the data and estimating parameters. Agree that it is very important to document these. (but easy forgotten sometimes)

Regards, Talitha

TL Feenstra, PhD
health economist
RIVM, Centre for Nutrition, Prevention and Health Services Research
Po Box 1
3720 BA Bilthoven
*31 30 274 4387 (mon)
* 31 6 1186 87 60