[Population Modeling] Introduction

Hyder, Ayaz hyder.22 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 26 15:47:25 PDT 2015

Hi All

Thanks for the welcome Jacob. I work mainly with agent-based models where the assumptions and parameters are quite big compared to statistical models in public health and epidemiology. My approach to parameter estimation involves optimization algorithms such as Simplex but sometimes I can optimize the model and do a two-step grid search (rough and then fine scale). I use the local supercomputers so it works out. As for selecting model parameters, I start off with identifying conceptual models from the published literature and querying domain experts.

Thanks

Ayaz Hyder, PhD
Assistant Professor, Division of Environmental Health Sciences
Affiliated Faculty, Translational Data Analytics
College of Public Health, The Ohio State University
614-247-4936 | http://cph.osu.edu/people/ahyder