[Population Modeling] Discussing the Population Modeling panel in SummerSim

Jacob Barhak jacob.barhak at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 16:45:42 PST 2016

Hi Melanie, Hi Jeljer, Hi Olaf, Hi Stefan,

It seems the panel is forming nicely.  I will try to summarize what we had
so far and help figure the rest.

1. The topic seems to revolve around "estimation and validation in
population modeling" with some variations. If you are all ok with this
general topic, I suggest we stick with it as a base.

2. It seems there is agreement on separate papers with the same title
prefix. So please allocate time on writing a short 3 page paper. Since
panelists are not closely affiliated, each will review the papers of
another panelist which will contribute to panel cohesion since the
panelists will influence each others final paper. Note that the review
process is public and non-blind.

3. Presentations followed by a period of questions to all panelists seems
to be the choice. I assume there will be 20-30 minutes per panelist, yet we
will have to set timing once we know number of presentations.

Olaf asked about other presenters. Yes, there will be other presentations
by non panelists. In fact any one of you can choose to detach from the
panel and submit a paper on their own. I will send a CFP to the list
following this message.

The difference for panelists would be:
1. Panelists will have some discount that SCS promised - I have no exact
details yet.  This makes sense since they will have more involvement.
2. Panelists will gain extra exposure which you are already getting with
these communications.
3. If time is available, panelists will get more time for discussion beyond
other presenters. I will communicate with organizers to see what is
possible beyond that.  Yet for now, assume the panel is part of the BMPM
track.

Note that SummerSim is a Multi-conference, so having a panel may attract
more people.  From the past, you should expect about 10-20 in the room for
the presentation if last years are indicative. I suspect a panel can
attract more.

So for panelists still interested, please:

1. Confirm that you are ok with the topic and format by sending an email to
this list. Or continue discussing the topic until consensus is reached. And
you can split into two panels with separate topics, or announce you are
interested in a paper outside the panel.

2. Start writing a short 3 page paper to submit to the SCS web site. Recall
that the title prefix should be the same for all papers if you are in the
panel.

3. Allocate time to review a paper or two by another panelist. This review
will be public.

Hopefully this explains the next steps and I hope more panelists would
express interest in the topic forming.

           Jacob

Dear All,
I agree with Stefan re 1 and 2.

1. I like the idea of talking about input-output stuff - data sources,
constraints, validation issues.

2. Fully agree with Stefan.

3. If we have slides, this should be flash talks, not longish formal
presentations. I am still unclear whether we have presentations from
 conference participants who are NOT panelists?

My 2 cents
Olaf

--

Olaf Dammann, MD

Professor of Public Health & Community Medicine

Tufts University School of Medicine

Boston, MA 02111

On Jan 21, 2016, at 4:00 AM, Stefan Scholz <stefan.scholz at uni-bielefeld.de>