[Population Modeling] Discussing the Population Modeling panel in SummerSim

Prague, Melanie mprague at hsph.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 29 13:05:36 PST 2016

Dear all,

To follow up with the previous emails, I will give my inputs on the three points.

1. I think that the clarification Stefan made is very important. Estimation is for me a mean to be more confident about external validity.
I would rephrase my interest in the “the importance of estimation in population modeling, compared to simulation, to ensure external validation and possibility of extrapolation/prediction of future behaviors of the system”. I have been interested a lot in epidemics (either at the cell level (for HIV) or at the population level for infectious diseases). In some cases, you want to use your “input parameters” to predict the growth of the epidemic, which would be your “output parameters” (that you may have also used for estimation). Some people use simulation to “input/set” (contrary to estimate) parameters and then predict the output. This is good regarding internal validity because if the input are correctly chosen then they will fit the observed data. But if prediction/extrapolation is of interest then there is a really need of estimation with tools such as cross-validation.

2. Separate paper is fine.

3. I will vote for short talks (10-15 min) for each panelist. Then a discussant can make a "summary talk" of 15 min trying to oppose all the ideas. Then a panel discussion for the remaining time.

Happy new year.
Best,
Mélanie.