[Population Modeling] Some interesting population modeling work by USDA

Jacob Barhak jacob.barhak at gmail.com
Sat May 21 07:58:37 PDT 2016

Greetings,

Government many times publish less than academics, yet there is some very
interesting and important work going on there.

Here is interesting work presented in MODSIM world:
Melissa Schoenbaum, Kelly Patyk, Amy Delgado, Columb Rigney. Animal Disease
Spread Modeling for Epidemiological and Economics Purposes: Learning from
the 2015 Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Outbreak. MODSIM world 2016.
http://www.modsimworld.org/papers/2016/Animal_Disease_Spread_Modeling_for_Epidemiological_and_Economics.pdf

The paper describes the work of the Monitoring and Modeling team within
USDA and its importance upon an outbreak of a disease within the animal
population.

This is a short paper and I think it is a good read for many in this group
since it combines issues of animal population modeling and disease outbreak
modeling as well as economic factors.

Considering the classification table we had in our last collaborative paper
it seems this paper should interest many of you.

               Jacob